Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Preplanning and Room Set Up: First Things First



I'm about to enter my fifth year teaching, and each year I enter my room dumbfounded... like I've forgotten where to get started! This year, I wanted to write down what I do to get myself ready to start the year. I know it'll help me in years to come, and maybe will help you as you set up your room this year!

1. Buy your stuff: Before you even go back, buy the supplies you're going to need. Or at least make a list of what you need to order through school. At my school, we get $150 to spend at Office Max in the fall semester, and we have to order it by following a specific protocol. Other cutesy things we buy on our own. Teacher Tip: Save your receipts!!!!!! You're going to want these for your taxes, and if you're lucky, you may be able to get reimbursed for purchases you made on your own. You can read more about the stuff I bought on my own here.

2. Set up the tables/desks in your room: This is the most physically difficult part, haha. It helps to recruit an assistant, especially if you're moving big stuff! Please consider finding someone to help you (I know some of my coworkers team up!)... I know people that have gotten injured moving big furniture in their classrooms and it was bad news. If you're still figuring out how to make your room set up work for you, you're probably going to want to create a blueprint/map to at least start off with. Moving those tables is hard work and you don't want to move them over and over again if you don't have to.


3. Put your stuff up on the walls: This is the first year that I didn't take everything down so I didn't have to put it all back up! Hallelujah!!! That being said, please don't stress about getting every single thing put on the wall before the kids come. I promise it'll be okay. Just put up what you absolutely need for meet the teacher and the first week, and you're good. :)


4. Get yourself ready for Meet the Teacher: After I have my shell of the classroom set up, the next thing I focus on is Meet the Teacher. I always put together folders that have vital information for parents (I'll write a post about them ASAP!) and have my treats for the kids out at their table spots. I always make sure to have the kids names and numbers out on the tables. These are by no means their permanent seats, but it really comforts the kids and parents knowing where the children are going to sit and where their cubbies are! I put signs out with directions for parents and try to make the whole process as seamless as possible. If your school has specific things they like you to have out or talk about at meet the teacher, make sure you are ready for that!! I don't completely finish setting up every single thing in my room, because some of the meet the teacher stuff takes up space I use for other things! Just set up the essentials and you'll be good.



We don't get our *official* class lists until the day of sneak peek, and we aren't allowed to post any names in the hallways until noon of that day. I try to have everything set up the day before so that I can focus on personalization on the day I get my real list. I make a class list for the hallway, print out names for my bulletin board, write out name plates and laminate them, and start making labels for various folders/pencil boxes.


5. Get ready for the first day: When sneak peek is said and done, you can finish setting up your room for the first day of school. Always always always have a game plan for the whole week ready, and make sure you build in extra things. I'll have a post up in the coming week about what I do for the first few days of school...

Until then, breathe and know that it'll get done! Every year I stress about this and every year it turns out perfectly okay. Just remember to get the essentials done first, then worry about the extra details later. And don't think everything has to match exactly or look like some of the classrooms we see on Pinterest... some of the happiest and most productive classrooms don't have pompoms hanging from the ceiling or rainbows painted across the whole wall. Whatever you do will be perfect for you. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment